Thursday, November 24, 2011

Kale Crisps.....I know they look freaky but they sure are tasty



I'm pretty sure just about everyone has already heard of and probably experimented with Kale chips but I'm good at jumping on bandwagons so I thought I'd give it a try too. I have recently become addicted to Kale and have been trying to entice the kiddies to get in on the act and share my love of this curly leafed nutritional wonder food. Unfortunately because it does not start with "Pas" and end with "ta" they are sceptical to say the least. My cunning tactic of turning it into a crunchy chip and calling it a snack worked with Neil, he has even gone so far as to request more. I call that success!
Kale crisps are ridiculously easy to make and can be seasoned in a billion different ways to suit your taste buds so there's no excuse not to experiment. No matter what you do to them they'll still be better for you than a-deep-fried-to-oblivion-piece-of-nothing-but-trans-fat-and-artificial-flavour-dust chip. Why is Kale so good for us?
Here's a little snippet of info from my favourite source of nosh inspiration My New Roots

"First of all, it packs more nutritional punch per calorie than almost any other food on the planet. Seriously. It is crazy-loaded with vitamin K, an essential vitamin for preventing bone fractures, postmenopausal bone loss, calcification of your arteries, and has even been shown to protect against liver and prostate cancer. And because kale is a member of the brassica family (think broccoli, cabbage, collards, and Brussels sprouts) it contains the organosulfur compounds that appear able to lessen the occurrence of a wide variety of cancers, including breast and ovarian cancers.Kale is also excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and manganese. It is also a very good source of dietary fiber, calcium, copper, vitamin B6, and potassium. This combination of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients makes kale a health superstar."





Well then. I don't think I have anything more to say other than EAT KALE!

I made a funky lime, soy and flax dressing for mine before baking but here's a simple recipe to which you can add whatever the heck kind of yummy flavouring you like!
1 bunch of Kale
1 tablespoon of olive oil
sea salt to taste

preheat oven to 300F. Rinse and dry kale then remove the stems and tough centre ribs. Cut into large pieces and toss with olive oil in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt then arrange in a single layer over a large baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until crisp.
Leave to cool then tuck in!




1 comment:

SINBAD 1. said...

It ALL looks SCRUMPTIOUS Sophie and the PICS are, as usual, 'TRIFFIC. I see Bel sucks her thumb just like Tasha did!!! Dog looks very CLEAN haha, shampooed? Seb looks very grown up in the CHURCH? but a long way to go to be GODPARENTS? You did'nt drive did you? I mean all that way!!! I thought that was Neil's speciality haha!!1 Hope weather still GOOD? Did a TEST exam a BC one 20 Qs only tho and FAILED haha!!! reez

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com