Sunday, November 13, 2011

Scrummy simple spelt pancakes...




Holy moly these were good! Just looking at the picture is making me want more!!
Seb requested pancakes and Daddy wasn't home.  He's usually the go-to man for pancakes you see and is known to whip up a dozen with barely a second to think about it. He does make a particularly good pancake but he's a old school crepe man of the lemon and sugar club and I decided to go for the full on big fat and fluffy american style pancake mountain smothered in maple syrup and topped with a good heap of blueberries. It was breakfast heaven my friends and I was PROUD of myself!

I used Spelt flour, (more on the wonders of spelt here) which combined with a good heap of blueberries and a dash of maple syrup means these pancakes are feeding you all kinds of nutritional wonders as well as tasting just about as good as breakfast can taste.

Here's the recipe...make them today!

INGREDIENTS
2 cups of spelt flour
2 tbspn sugar
3/4 tspn salt
1tbspn baking powder
2 tbspn coconut oil (or butter) melted
1 3/4 cups milk or nut milk
1 tspn vanilla extract optional

METHOD
*Whisk together the spelt flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
*Combine milk and melted coconut oil (or butter) and vanilla.
*Form a well in the flour, pour wet ingredients into dry. Stir the batter until just thoroughly moistened.
*let batter sit for 15 mins to thicken. 
*Heat a very lightly oiled skillet or heavy pan until a drop of water splutters across the surface then spoon in batter 1/4 cup full at a time. 
*When just beginning to set, flip and cook for about another minute. 

You will probably need to adjust the temperature of your pan to get it nice golden pancakes (my first two where blackened and didn't make the cut! Ooops.)

Oh and because Neil missed out he made me make them again for lunch....this time with bacon! Oh naughtiness!

Have good day folks!
x

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Del loves these US pancakes although he is with Neil and likes to eat them with bacon and maple syrup. They sell Spelt flour in Tescos but possible not coconust oil!

Neil and Sophie said...

Hi Gerri! My sister also tells me she's having trouble finding coconut oil in the UK, I'll have to see if I can find it online. It's wonderful stuff and I use it wherever I used to use marg or butter and I swear I feel the difference health wise......In the mean time, make them with butter! The spelt flour gives the pancakes a lovely nutty flavour which just makes them taste so good! Let me know what you think!

Anonymous said...

Tried these this morning as we had one of Del's sons and eldest grand daughter aged 4 staying. Couldn't get Coconut Oil in Tescos or in Hoo Hing, a big Chinese warehouse, although they had about 50 types of coconut milk and sesame oil. Tescos only had wholemeal spelt so I used half spelt and half plain and corn oil. Did crispy bacon and maple syrup (or Algave syrup for the grand daughter who didn't like maple) and a mix of blueberries and cherries. Grand daughter didn't like the berries, or pancakes so just ate the bacon covered in Algave!!!! Mind you they had fed her one of those processed hotdogs at her first footie match yesterday afternoon which during the night had a very detrimental effect on our lounge carpet, spare room carpet and two changes of bedding, so guess her stomach wasn't up to new tastes this morning. Del and the step son loved the pancakes however.

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com