Wednesday, November 09, 2011

No piggies were harmed in the making of this sandwich....




Just look at it, take a moment to absorb it in all its scrummy, sandwichy glory..... Mmm mmm..... Soft bread, fresh spinach, delicious avocado, zingy salsa and Bacon......
COCONUT BACON!!!
Yes, my friends, this is a meat free bacon sandwich and I'm as shocked as anybody. Who knew you could make bacon with baby coconuts? Not me. Not until Ani Phyo told me (thanks Kate!). I almost didn't believe her and when I came across a baby thai coconut in Tofino Coop (if you can find one here you can find one anywhere) I had to give it a whirl. I followed Ani's easy instructions on how to get into the coconut and how to extract the "bacon".  Then I had to improvise. Ani is a raw foodie and prepares her bacon in a dehydrator. I used the conventional bacon cooking method and stuck it under the grill with a bit of seasoning. As for the result, I was shocked! It crisped up on the edges and tasted meaty and a bit oily and delicious. Now if you're a real bacon lover this probably won't convert you to veganism forever but if you're interested in trying something new occasionally that could be a little better for you (and for the poor piggies) then give it a go. I highly recommend it!

Sending you all some piggy love!
x

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the...? It even looks like bacon. Not like coconut at all. You are very welcome. I do get excited when I get a mention on here! Tee hee. What's the difference between a regular coconut and a baby thai coconut? How on earth did you make the coconut look so much like bacon? So many questions...

Neil and Sophie said...

Hehe! i shall reveal all on skype :)

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com