Sunday, September 16, 2012

Can you believe it??




Last week Seb went to school. It has been traumatic, mostly for me but a teeny bit for him too. He's been with me pretty much all day, everyday for the last nearly five years. Don't get me wrong, he isn't the least bit shy or clingy, in fact quite the opposite, he's probably one of the most confident and socially outgoing kids I've ever come across. He just doesn't seem to like change. His first day went quite smoothly, it was what they call a staggered entry day so there were just a few kids from his class and we got to join him in the classroom for the first 45 minutes to talk to the teacher and fill in forms and stuff then we said a quick goodbye and left him playing quietly with the others. All good. The next time was a little tougher for me. The school was bustlingly busy and as Bel and I marched Seb into the school and down to his classroom we noticed that all the other kids were already lined up to go in. No sooner had I scrambled to get his outdoor shoes off and put his bag away than the teacher swooped in and  ushered him away and into the classroom without me even getting to say good bye. Bel and I stood there for a minute and then left feeling a bit empty and sad. As I walked her back to the entrance she turned to me and said in a very worried voice "I love you Mummy". I think she thought I was about to let her get swept away into a class room too! For the next few days I dropped Seb off and have wondered every minute what he's up to and if he's ok. When I pick him up he's blasé and answers my torrent of questions with minimal detail and enthusiam, leaving me feeling all the more frustrated about the whole thing. Is he having any fun? Is his teacher nice? Does he like it at all? I hate the feeling of dropping him in a completely strange place and not having a flipping clue what he does for the next 3 hours! To top it all off, at home he's been extra moody, extra sensitive and seems to flip out at the most insignificant things. The only other time I remember him being like this is when we first moved to Tofino. I just don't think he likes his world to take such drastic changes. On the positive side he seems very relaxed about actually going to school so that's a big relief. After my first few stressy days I'm starting to feel better about it too. Neil and I attended a kindergarten orientation the other night and got to spend a bit of time with his teacher and learn about their curriculum and daily schedules. We had a proper look around his classroom and even got to see some of Seb's crafts (so hilarious and cute!) which really helped take away my building anxiety about the whole thing. I'm sure this is all very normal and that most other Mum's feel like this to a degree, I just don't think I was prepared for quite how strongly I would feel. I know he's ready for school, he's got a lovely teacher and things can only get better from here!







P.S I have know idea where all this attitude comes from but he's started to pose like this every time I get my camera out!

1 comment:

No.1 OBSERVER!!!!! said...

WOW, love the BACKPACK. its ENORMOUS whats in it? I think Bel would fit in NICELY and so she could go to school with Seb! Bel would love that I think. seb looks happy as a sandboy, great PICS Sophie, tho Bel does look somewhat at a loss haha!!!! Whens the next NOSH instalment then?

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com