Friday, September 14, 2012

a bit of knit





They say that knitting is very therapeutic and apparently has even been prescribed as a remedy for people with anxiety issues. I don't think I've got anxiety issues (yet) but, as you might have gathered, I've been feeling a little stressed lately so I took up knitting :)
I actually did go through a little knitting stage a few years ago, I mostly made a lot of wobbly edged scarves and only really learnt how to cast-on, knit (badly) and cast off. My scarves were a hit with my friends at work (well at least 2 of them) and they were affectionately known as "Scophies". You usually could spot a Scophie a mile off they were so unique! Anyway this time I've bothered to also learn how to purl and do a couple of other tricks and have invested in a circular needle as well as a couple of pairs of straight needles. As with the sewing I LOVE it!! I am still intending to sew lots but that's something I have to schedule when the kids are otherwise entertained or fast asleep but with knitting I can do it while we all watch a movie or while I'm at the park with the kiddies it's so amazingly portable! I've discovered a whole new world of fibre and have quickly learnt that fancy yarn can be pretty darned exciting!! Oh I do hope I'm not boring you to tears!
Here are a few of my first creations.....


This is a hat (or a touque if your from around these parts) that I knitted for Neil for his birthday. He really seems to like it and has worn it already a few times for our eveing dog walks now that things are turning chilly. It's a magical hat that seems to fit everyone from the tinniest Bel to the big-headed Neil. You can see Seb modelling it further down the page to see what I mean. 



This one is a neck warmer thingy with a nice wooden button. This was my very first project and I really like how it turned out. I think I might send it off to my good friend Caroline (if she likes it). It's a chartreuse green which I think would look lovely on her and she is my biggest "Scophie" fan so I think she deserves an updated version. 


This one  was a lesson in doing a few fancy lace type stiches, it's a scarf that I knitted in two pieces and sewed together. One end has a little hole that you pull the opposite end through to secure it around your neck. It's a little on the big side for Bel but I think she models it with flair!


Here are a few more interesting pics for you thanks to my trusty child models....






I'm starting work on my Christmas pressies so you all know what to expect now! First job is the most lovely and perfect hat for my sister!
 Hooray! I love knitting! 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Caroline will love it, i agree its totally her! xx

Shar x

Poor CRUSOE, STARVING!!! said...

ALL super Sophie BUT what about me shirts and MORE pics of NOSH haha! NOT that GREEN stuff tho!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well done on learning to knit.
I was taught dozens of times as a kid by my aunt but after a few rows the stitches would be so tight I couldn't get the needles in anymore. Which is why ladies at craft shows who sell knitted babies cardigans love me as I buy them all up ready for any impending births.
Your scarves and hats look good enough to sell.
GG xx

Neil and Sophie said...

Oh thanks Geri! It's amazing how quickly you improve with these things, you should've seen my first little swatch...it was supposed to me a neat little square but it ended up more like a wonky triangle with lots of holes from all my dropped stitches! I've kept it to remind me how much I've improved. Bel's using it as a duvet for her dolls house :)

Shar...can I take an order for you? Hat, scarf or cowl? (that's pretty much your options right now :)

Dale....Don't worry there will be more Nosh soon enough :)

the NEW oliver Twist!!! said...

Oh Goody Goody, u won't forget me shirts will you? AND the MULLED WINE too!!!! AND chocolate sauce a la Kate!!!! YUMMY, I may be over haha!!!cesfso

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com