Friday, October 07, 2011

So-simple-even-a-two-year-old-could-do-it Pumpkin Spiced Muffins


Last night Belly and I baked muffins. We used a ridiculously simple recipe for making pumpkin muffins I found on Pinterest. You take a pack of cake mix and a can of pumpkin, mix together, bake and hey presto! Scrummy yummy pumpkiny baked goodness! No eggs, no oil hence not as much mess as normal baking with a two year old in charge. She got to mix and lick the spoon, which quite frankly is the only reason she wants to bake. I tried it the other day with yellow cake mix as the original recipe suggested and the muffins were good. This time I thought we should use spice cake mix for some extra yummy spiced pumpkin flavour. The sweet smell of pumpkin spices warmed my kitchen and reminded me just how much I love October! We had them for breakfast this morning and they were so good with a nice cup of tea.


I've since heard of people using this easy method but switching to a loaf pan to make pumpkin bread or with chocolate cake mix for an extra delicious treat.




Just a little taste....

and another sneeky little lick....

Shall I??

Ah, why the heck not, another little taste won't hurt anyone!

errrm, ok Bel I think that's enough...

Seriously. Stop. licking.


Arrgh!




What could be better on a chilly October morning that fresh pumkin spiced muffins and a cup of earl gery (or giraffe tea in Bel's case).




ok so I loved how simple these are to make but admittedly they're not healthiest option so next on my list is trying to make a pumpkin loaf with fresh pumpkin instead of canned and maple syrup and banana instead of refined sugar. Stay tuned!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look super yummy. If only you could get tins of pumpkin or spice cake mix here!

I can't wait to make cakes with Molly and Violet. I bet they'll hate cooking and won't want to bake with me at all! Ha!

Anonymous said...

Oh... I love your tea towel by the way. x

Neil and Sophie said...

really? you can't get tins of pumpkin??

Neil and Sophie said...

Oh and thanks for the tea towel love x

Anonymous said...

My son and daughter in law have recently moved to Toronto. I have been left the contents of their kitchen which included four cans of Libby's solid pack pumpkin. They bought it in Selfridges but a website forum said you can get it in Waitrose. Not tried so don't know if they do sell it.
My son is back home at the moment working on a show being run by a Canadian Theatre Company so I made a pumpkin cake for him to take in for his Canadian colleagues on Monday for their Thanksgiving. The recipe using a whole can made two large square cakes and we had the other one. It was gorgeous and I would like to be able to buy tin pumpkin again so if any followers in Britain find it on sale do tell.

Neil and Sophie said...

Hi Gerri hope you are well! Glad to hear you're making the Canadians feel at home :) I just googled it and you can find canned pumpkin in the UK online. Here's the link for you...
http://www.americansoda.co.uk/uk/American-Soda/Home/Baking/Pie-filling-+-Jell-O/Libby's-Pumpkin-Pie-Filling-29-OZ-(822g).aspx

Apparently you can freeze the excess for up to three months too. Happy pumpkin baking! xx

GG said...

Cheers. Send me your email address please.

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com