Thursday, April 14, 2011

House tweaking....

I love our new home and I've been having a great time arranging and rearranging everything in my efforts at making the place all cosy. This house feels so much more like home than our last house in Beaumont, that house was never really me and it always felt a bit dull and lifeless and it didn't inspire me to do anything. Home shouldn't feel like that! It should feel warm and happy and colourful and full of life! Anyway, here's a bit of house tweaking I've been doing.....

Remember our boot-putting-on-bench area by the front door? Last time you saw it it looked like this....


Well, I kept thinking it needed some hooks up on the wall, a place for people to hang coats and stuff, know what I mean? Anyway, I was in town and found the most lovely shop called Covet. They sell all kinds of really nice stuff, jewelry, toys, books, home stuff, I really could've spent a fortune in there! I restrained myself as much as I could but couldn't resist these perfect hooks.....

It's made of a bug hunk of driftwood, is the perfect size for that little space and I LOVE it!!
I added a few pieces of driftwood I pinched from Mussel Beach to the window sill and I think the whole little nook looks extra super really nice now! : )


Now for my next tweak...remember my frame arrangement in the hallway? Well, I really like it but I kept looking at the pictures and thinking maybe I should change some of them. One in particular was bugging me. You can't see it too well in the photo below but the big square frame to the right has a paper moose that I originally made as a christmas decoration. It hung in my house for about two years after that Christmas and kind of looked ok with that lovely yellow and brown paint scheme that I loved so much in the old house ; )
Well, it didn't look so good here and I wanted to replace it with something that wouldn't cost me much (preferably nothing) and something that looked fresher and brighter and not so much like a christmas moose.

I dug through the kids craft stuff and found some nice coloured paper. I chose a nice fresh blue piece and spent the best part of half an hour trying to cut out a fern leaf (I've been quite fascinated by the pretty ferns in the forest here). I put it in the frame and was marginally impressed with myself! I liked it but once up, it looked too plain and bland on the white wall. I tried to think of something that would add a bit of something to it and came up with newspaper!

Hey presto, a bit of ripping and it looked slightly better. I decided to add some plain dark blue paper too just to make it look a bit more intentional if you know what I mean. I'm still undecided and will probably find something I like better eventually but for now I think it is an improvement on the red moose and I'll call that success!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like your fern collage, I loved your moose collage too but this is a much more 'Tofino' picture I think. Top marks. It would also look lovely next to a sun print.... you know..... like I told you about before. I'll have to find some sun print paper to send out to you.

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com