Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Baby bibs two ways....



To go along with the wee little baby hats I made for Zoe I decided I'd have a go at making some bibs. I figured bibs don't look complicated......I'm pretty sure I could do that. So, I did :)
I chose a really pretty fabric, I picked this lovely colourful scalloped cotton because I thought it was pretty without being too girly and because it's nice to have things that are gorgeous and stylish and not necessarily covered in cartoonish figures or overly babyish patterns. Make the most of this control while you have it Mum's, once that kid turns three she'll start demanding "Dora the explorer" or "Disney Princesses" to be plastered over everything!
For the backing fabric I used an Ikea tea towel (brand new I assure you). I happened to have a few that I bought a while back with the intention of trying out some more home printing. They're really inexpensive, 100% cotton, soft and absorbent making them perfect bib making fabric! For bib number one, lets call it the classic, I traced the outline of a bib I already owned onto my two layers of fabric, cut around my traced lines and sewed all around the edges (right sides together.) I left about an inch and half gap for turning the bib right sides out then pressed it all flat and topstitched around all the edges again, thus closing my little gap. For the neck closure I decided I wanted snaps, I remember getting quite frustrated with my babies pulling off velcro bibs whenever they felt like it. I sent Neil out to our cute local quilting shop with instructions to buy me snaps and a snap setter and he delivered! Once we'd figured out which bit of the snap fitted where and hammered them all together we had our first completed bib! Not too shabby even if I do say so myself. 


For bib number two I wanted to try and make one of those bandana style bibs. I think they're more for catching dribble than anything and as they don't look quite so... errr...bibby for want of a better word. You can get away with your Bubba wearing it all day, kind of like a stylish little dribble catching accessory. For this one I used my existing bib as a guide for tracing the neck size then just pretty much made up the rest. Looks alright wouldn't you say?


I'm really pleased with my first foray into bib making and am so happy that Zoe's little parcel is finally ready to send. I'm quite sure that she's going to be the most stylish girl on the block!

No comments:

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com