Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Yay me! I planted a tree...



And a few wee shrubs....


I worked very hard indeed for two whole days. Bear in mind a few things.....I did this ALONE, (Neil was at work), the tree is at least 13 feet tall and although skinny, it's a heavy blighter! The ground here in Beaumont is some kind of impenetrable sedimentary rock (by impenetrable I mean quite hard and by rock I mean clay). The entire time I had at least one kid, sometimes two crying that they'd been hit by the other kid / fallen off the coffee table / got a splinter / lost their lego man / needed a pee pee / needed someone to clean their butt / wanted some milk / had spilt their milk / wanted cereal / had spilt their cereal / didn't want to watch Treehouse / wanted to watch Treehouse and so on and so on. At one point the wind picked up into a near hurricane state, the wind blew over the tree and the tree fell on my head, this made Sully jump backwards in sheer fright, knocking over Bel who landed screaming in a heap on the floor with untold injuries......just out of my reach as I was still slightly concussed and desperately trying to hold up the tree in the howling wind. We were all ok but I hope you're getting the picture here, it was hard work.  I'm hesitant to show you the next shot because, well, it really doesn't look like I did much at all but here goes, DA DAAAAAA......



I know I know, you were expecting something a little more impressive but hey, it's better than the bland little corner of dullness it once was and I am proud!

On the subject of gardening, obviously I'm a little limited at the moment because I'm hoping we won't be in this house all that much longer but I have great plans let me tell you! I'm enjoying composting far more than I think composting is supposed to be enjoyed (is it normal to spend long lingering moments staring into your compost heap savouring every little bit of decay with unimaginable glee?) Oh. That must just be me then. And before anyone helpfully points it out....next time  I'll remember to remove the stickers from our banana skins.


Having done so well with sprouts and micro greens I've decided to take my indoor gardening skills up a notch and have been attempting to grow herbs from seed. It's been nearly 4 weeks and to be frank, progress is slow. Painfully slow. I think perhaps there is a problem but I'm not sure so I shall keep checking and watering and checking and watering.


And finally there's these little fellows. I think I'm more proud of these than the tree.


They are teeny weeny Arugula seedlings (Roquette if you're English). I grew them from seed inside but they've been growing outside now for just over a week and seem to be doing well. Here's a shot from a little further away to give you more of an idea of their scale....


I did tell you they were small. You gotta start somewhere but like I said, I have big plans!

I saw a nice pin recently that I really liked and I think is kind of relevant here.......

"Do small things with great love."

x

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee is being celebrated here by the planting of trees.

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/jubilee-woods/about/Pages/our-aims.aspx

Her Majesty will be proud of you Sophie. Having dug up a whole garden of clay soil at our other house you have my admiration. OK it is a small garden!!!
GG

Neil and Sophie said...

Jubilee woods, what a lovely idea! Thanks for the link GG and thank you for making me feel better about my meagre accomplishments :)

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com