Sunday, June 10, 2012

Power balls! Ka-pow!...

.....Or as I prefer to call them prune balls, I just think it sounds less pretentious don't you? :)



So I whipped these babies up yesterday with a batch of nut pulp left over from my nut milk. I'm afraid to say that nine times out of ten my nut pulp goes into the bin (or at least now the compost bin)  because I really haven't found a recipe that I'm likely to be bothered to produce everyday with my leftover pulp....until now that is! And this one I made up myself, Wooo! It was loosely based on an energy ball I tried at a really cool place in Nanaimo called Power House Living Foods, It's an entirely raw food cafe and for the five minutes that I was in there I was in heaven! If you have a mo check out their menu, it's mouthwateringly good and entirely raw. Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what was in their delicious power balls but mine are made with soaked almond pulp (from about 1 cup of blended almonds), 4 or five prunes ( but you could use medjool dates, figs or the like), a drizzle of raw honey and 1 1/2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Just process the pulp, honey and prunes into a nice fine chop then add the coconut oil and whizz for another minute or so to mix the oil into the mixture. Take small pinches of the mix and roll in the palm of your hand to form a ball. You can leave the balls naked or roll them in anything you fancy. I rolled some of mine in raw cacao (holy yummy balls batman!), some in sesame seeds, some in matcha powder and a couple in crushed up millet cereal (they didn't stick around long enough to be in the photo above). All were delicious but for me it's a tie between the sesame seeds and the raw cacao. Pop them in the fridge and they'll be nicely chilled and ready to eat in about 20 minutes. They make a satisfying and full of goodness treat for those of you with the curse of the sweet tooth like me. Keep them in the fridge and they'll last for 4 or 5 days ( or in my case, 4 hours before they're all eaten up!)
Give it a whirl why don't ya!

1 comment:

HORNBLOWER!!!! said...

Sophie I'm afraid I have become ADDICTED to your BLOG the KIDS and the NOSH!!! Beats Beans on toast i think, OR as safdar would say DEELICIOUS hehe! Keep 'em coming! NOW I'm going to TRY and send this IF I can, you know what I mean? Love to ALL!

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com