Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Getting eggy.......


Who's in the mood for Easter? I am! Maybe it's because I'm sick of winter, sick of being stuck inside waddling about like an extra fat penguin.  Maybe it's because I know that by the time Easter comes around my wee little baby will be here and huggable and my lovely Mum will be here too! I don't know what it is but I am so enthusiastic for all things springy that today the kids and I got stuck into a fun and really easy Easter craft....these pretty salt dough egg decorations! 


I pinned this idea a while back but it's really so easy you don't need instructions. All you need to do is mix up a batch of salt dough (1 cup flour, 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup water), knead it a bit then roll it out into a sheet about 1/4 inch thick. Take an egg shaped cookie cutter and cut out as many eggs as you can make. Don't forget to punch a hole in the top for hanging! We used a straw to punch the holes. Lay them on a baking sheet lined with some parchment or a silicone baking mat and bake at 250F for 2 hours. Once they've cooled fully get some acrylic paint (and a big mess mat) and let the kids go wild! 


Sorry about Bel's hair, the brushing of which seems to have fallen at the wayside over the last few weeks. There have been days where it's almost turned into dreads! It's the curse of the over-tired Mummy and she best get used to it!





You might be able to tell that I did manage to fully detangle and brush out Bel's dreads during the 2 hours our eggs were baking. If I keep it in a pony tail I won't have to brush it again for a couple more days :)












Once they've been painted and prettied up to your hearts content, hang them on some nice twigs in a vase and ta-daaaa! You've got yourself an Easter Tree!  Pure spring loveliness!


 How pretty do they look!! I love them and the best thing is that provided we don't break them (which in all honesty is bound to happen), they should last for many Easter's to come!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah that takes me back over 20 years to when Billy and I made saltdough Christmas tree decs.
Some have gone soggy in the loft or bits have broken off but we still have a few that come out every year and hang on the tree. We made bells, stars, hearts, Christmas puddings, camels, wise men type crowns, snowmen and angels. Added jewels to the crowns from tiny rolled balls of salt dough and carrot shaped bits for snowmen noses. We used the acrylic paints and also gold and silver paint and either sprinkled glitter onto wet paint or used glitter paint to make them more Christmassy. Similar patterns were painted on the stars and bells and hearts as S and I have painted on your eggs. Packed carefully and probably not kept in a cold loft they should last until your grandchildren arrive too!

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com