Friday, January 04, 2013

Sustainable Snack Bags.....




In my efforts to reduce the amount of plastic packaging we use I purchased some Lunchskins a little while ago. I really liked these cute little reusable snack bags with a velcro closure but have since lost them :( Neil always takes stuff like this to work and forgets to bring them back, tut tut! I'm trying hard to break this habit of his. Anyway a while after I bought the lovely lunchskins I came across this tutorial by Amy Karol to make a similar thing yourself. This version doesn't use velcro, it has a simple overlapping envelope opening that does a perfectly good job of preventing snack leakage. Anyway I've been meaning to make them for ages and now that I've finally unpacked my sewing machine it seemed like a good time.  Another thing spurring me on is that Seb's school is a Green School and they want all snacks and lunches to be garbage free. I'm all for garbage free too so there was another reason to whip up some snack sacks! I choose a really cute food inspired japanese fabric and just ordered a couple of fat quarters. I think I'll easily be able to make 3 snack bags from each fat quarter. 


They are perfect for dry snacks like crackers but work just as well for sandwiches. You just bung them in the washing machine to give them a good clean. The kids love them because they are cute and so far we haven't lost them!

I also got to try out my own personal sewing labels, I got a whole bunch of them as a really sweet birthday present from my sister. I didn't really need to bother sewing a label on my snack bags but I just really, really wanted to see how they looked  :)


1 comment:

L.J.Silver ( his twin ) but TWO legs for island HOPPING! said...

What! you bung the sandwiches in the w/machine? only kidding! They look great and of course I have never heard of them! Your not surprised tho I'm sure. However I do hope that my SHIRTS ( green ) and my HAT have not been put aside due to your NEW project, haha. Would you believe it I have just received Chris and Annies X/Card, today, which was posted from the MEDWAY mail centre on 10/12/12!!!! AND a TUNA fish has just been sold in the Tokyo fish market for 1.7 MILLION $s ONE fish!!!! However Hope you are ALL over the cold/sniffels/ temps etc. as Seb is back to school on MONDAY? i think? Sunny here but COLD and WINDY. Anyway keep shovelling, the snow of course, haha !

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com