Friday, January 04, 2013

Emerald Lake



The day before New Years Eve.....New Years Eve Eve if you will, we took a little trip to Emerald Lake in Yoho National Park, British Columbia. It's a very special place for us. It's a place we've visited a lot ever since our very first week as Canadian residents. It's where, five and a bit years ago, we got married surrounded by all the people we love.  It also happens to be where, a year later, Seb toddled his first steps! It's not too far form where we live now, just a hop, skip and a jump along the Trans Canada and you're there. In fact it took us almost exactly an hour which in Ralston road trip terms is like popping to the shops :) We had planned on hiking around the lake but as it turns out I had come down with a nasty cold and could barely breathe let alone hike. Instead, we had a wander down memory lane. We showed the kids the spot where our wedding ceremony was held and as we walked we talked about the different memories of  all the people from the week of our wedding. When you live thousands of miles from where you grew up you don't get many places like this where there are reminders of familiar faces around every corner. There will probably not be another time when all the people that were with us that week will all be together again. I have so many vivid memories from that time, it's almost as if I was trying extra hard to squeeze it all into my mind and keep it there, perfectly crystal clear. I remember sitting on a warm September day on the patio of Cilantro's (in the photo above) with my sister and Paul laughing and drinking icy cold drinks. I remember greeting my brother and Mum and Dad at the door to the Lodge and seeing their faces as they caught their first real-life sight of my huge 8 month pregnant belly! I remember the warm feeling I got every time I walked into the breakfast room and saw familiar faces at every table. Sitting around the fire pit talking to my friend Caroline so amazed that she and the others would travel this far to come and see me! Sorry for rambling on.....I really do love this place and I think it's pretty cool that we can just pop there for an afternoon now that we're living in Canmore.


The little store on the lake shore where we all rented canoes the day before the wedding.....


The bridge that Neil and his crazy brothers jumped off into the cold, glacier-fed, Emerald coloured water.....





The fire pit where everyone sat during the speaches....






Here's Neil and Seb in the exact spot in which we said our vows. Seb was pretty fascinated by the whole thing and seemed to take great pleasure in announcing to every single passer by, waiter, receptionist, lodge guest, baby, and even to a pretend Santa that "we got married here!" oh and of course he had to add "I was in Mummy's tummy!", thanks for that Seb, announce to everyone that we had a shotgun wedding why don't you! I won't tell you what Isobel tried to tell people. Believe me, it was far more embarrassing!


Here's the very first cabin we ever stayed in......awww, I wish I could keep it....


And the stunning Mount Burgess......


Before getting on our merry way we had a mulled wine by the fire in the lodge (by we I mean I, Neil was driving and Seb and Bel weren't in the mood for booze)  and headed into Golden for dinner. Other than feeling a bit under the weather it was a lovely end to the year and I can't wait to go back after the thaw and see that beautiful Emerald water again. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember sitting in your MASSIVE cabin and feeling Seb move in your tummy. It was the first time I had ever felt a baby move in someone's tummy and I was absolutely AMAZED at how alien it felt but at the same time made it real feel like I was meeting your little baby for the first time.

I also remember feeding the birds from our hands on your terrace. That was funny.

I remember the day we all went out on the lake in our canoes.

I remember the day Neil and his brothers decided to take a stroll (climb the mountain) and we all kept watch from the safety of the lodge. Until they were gone, out of sight, presumably eaten by hungry bears, and missing for some time. Then the jokes started to die down and everyone started to look a little worried. Of course they were fine. I hate to imagine what kind of mega-bear would dare trifle with Neil and his brothers! They'd probably go running at it all teeth and bare knuckles, laughing wildly, competing to see who could bite the damn thing!

And I remember that last minute or two before we left your cabin before the wedding. We were all dressed and ready and everyone else left to go and take their seats, ready for the big event. Suddenly it was all quiet and all very real. We both started shaking and giggling nervously. Quickly having a sip of champagne to mark the occasion before making our way to the Lake edge. I was so scared that you were going to teeter over in your long dress and that I would already have fainted from nervousness and be useless to help you. Instead it was all beautiful and amazing and lovely and I couldn't imagine a more perfect wedding.

Capt. D. Nostalgia! said...

Ah Yes I remember it well! Super wedding wonderful location AND the hotel staff, who changed the DEFECTIVE toaster I complained about haha!!! ie the self service breakfast! ah yes, I remember it well! It was a wonderful event everyone so happy or, as certain Pa Larkin would have said PERFEC! Yes, the little shop I bought Tash a t/shirt there, I think? AND its where I POTTED the final black to win the game on that wonderful 100 year old SNOOKER table, ah yes, I remember it well! AND where they ADDED 50$s to my BILL, which they did not get away with!!!AND where I left my dressing gown behind! and which I got back later!!! ah yes, I remember it well!!!!

casacaudill said...

How lovely to be able to share such a special time in your life with your kids. I love that Seb was so enthralled by the story. (And I really want to know what Isobel said. :-))

Neil and Sophie said...

Oh Becky, it was all Neil's fault! Before we left the house we were explaining to the kids that we were going to visit a special place where Mummy and daddy got married and Seb is always quite proud of the fact that he was in my tummy on our wedding day so he was kind of bragging to Bel that he was there. Anyway she turned to Neil and asked where she was on that day. Neil, who in all innocence has a bit of a knack of saying the most inappropriate things, said "err.... well, I guess you were in my balls". I immediately countered his comment by explaining that she was like a puzzle that wasn't put together yet, part of her was in Daddy and part of her was in Mummy and we left it at that. Then when we were talking to a very sweet lady and her cute baby, Seb started proudly telling her that we got married here and that he was in my tummy and Bel just started yelling "and I was in Daddy's balls! And I was in Daddy's balls!" She always repeats herself at least 6 times and she has a very loud voice. I could have died from embarrassment! So there you have it :)

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com