Thursday, June 27, 2013

Growing and building.....


 Bad news....my seedlings failed. Twice. Yes, I made two separate attempts to start seed of tomatoes, lettuce, various herbs, arugula, not to mention a few other things and the only solitary thing that has survived is one Genovese Basil plant. I call him my precious and skulk around him possessively, chattering to myself like a crazy bipolar creature. I carry him gently to the bathroom every night so that he doesn't get chilly with the cool mountain air coming in the open window and every time I pass him I spritz him with room temperature water and whisper sweet nothings to his leaves.  Too scared to plant him outside.....but he would love it.....cold nights...squirrels.....noooooo! I think I am crazy....but isn't he beautiful!?


 Meanwhile Seb is growing something......


We're not sure what it is, he was blindfolded when he planted it. From what I can see of the seed I think it will be a sunflower but it's quite fun waiting and guessing.
Neil hasn't grown anything but he has been building stuff! He built this workbench for our garage.......



It's really quite sturdy. It has a shelf, a pegboard and a connected multi-outlet power supply! I was so impressed I immediately asked him to build me a planter for the deck and within an hour...voila! 


Isn't it nice! Just a shame I wasn't able to fill it with my own plants. Oh well, that's what the Garden Centre is for I suppose, failures like me :)




Luckily we have the Community Garden, we are proud members of the Tomato Crew. So far Neil and I have helped build eavestrough wicking planters and a passive solar wall out of old pop bottles for the tomato house and it looks like we might be able to have our first nibbles of tomatoes in the next week or two! It's really cool to be a part of the garden and I'm seriously hoping I learn enough to get my home garden growing strong next year. 


No comments:

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com