Thursday, July 26, 2012

Progress in the garden....


Or in the container I should say.


Rhuby the rhubarb is still alive. Not exactly flourishing as you can see but alive nonetheless. After his traumatic journey on my lap all the way here from Tofino he hated his new life here in Edmonton and proceeded to make that apparent to me by turning brown, moth-eaten and shrively. I was scared for him mostly because, like ET and his little potted flower, I felt the same was happening to me (metaphorically speaking, I'm obviously not brown and shrively). We're both adapting and trying to stay positive. He's looking a little more green and even has a wee baby leaf poking through. I'm hoping this is a sign that things are looking up for Rhuby and me. 


My Arugula, the first plant I have ever really grown from seed (aside from various forms of sprouts) is also surviving. Considering that he was abandoned for nearly three weeks in the heat of the prairie summer he is looking remarkably well. I was concerned that I let him grow flowers but have just discovered that they are edible and taste a bit like radishes so I'm going to try them in a salad most likely this afternoon. It turns out Neil hates Arugula so it looks like I get to enjoy him all to myself. 


In the kitchen my first attempt at growing some Thyme and Oregano from seed seemed to fail miserable. I'm not really sure wht happened but my seedlings just stopped growing. They were still green but that was about it. After several weeks of watering the teeny little blighters I gave up and started from scratch. After a bit of research I found out that they may not have enjoyed the ice cold tap water I was sprinkling on them every so often. Apparently they are quite fussy and might prefer it to be tepid. We'll see if that makes a difference this time around.
I've also added a Mesclun mix to my seedling attempts and in just a few days I've got cotyledons galore and hope to make a home grown salad in the not too distant future!


Have a happy Thursday everyone!

3 comments:

Adml. I Naygreen, Rtd. said...

and ALL edible are they? Neeks sent me out one evening to get her some SAGE and some BASIL but I failed miserably!!! I'm better at SHIPS!!!! so DON'T ask me about PLANTS!!!! At times I feel ignorant AND guilty at times ESPECIALLY when asked to dash out and get some 'ERBS haha as I was in OZ, oh woe is me!!!!

Breakers Fresh Food Deli said...

I bet you'd spot an onion from 20 yards! x

U.S. Gardener (RTD.) said...

However did you guess? AND I just love IMPERIAL measure its so much more sensible and UN-EUROPEAN.....GOOD! My last command (ship) had IMPERIAL on one side METRIC on the other and BOTH on the STERN!!! German built and that says it all! Now Sophie what WERE we talking about, sorry, got carried away!!! AND any member of that FAMILY!!! onions that is haha!!!! an EASY word today haha
t

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com