Friday, September 09, 2011

Happy Anniversary to us!


Genie macaroni! Can you believe it's been four years since that perfect day at Emerald Lake? I can remember it all like it was yesterday...... our family and wonderful friends all together, the bright green of the trees, the sparkle of the lake, scraping frost of the windsheild of the car before heading to the hairstylist, giggling with my sister and sharing a naughty sip of champagne just before we headed out the door to walk the "aisle", standing with my new husband on the patio looking up at the unbelievable stary night sky with the sound of laughter and music wafting from the windows of the lodge. Wow. What a day. I don't think there'll ever be one more perfect.





The four years since that day have been pretty crazy for us. Crazy, horrible downs and crazy, wonderful ups but best of all two precious people that we love more than I think I ever thought possible. Bel and Seb you make my heart sing happy songs and eyes cry happy tears and everything we do is worth it for you.
x

So back to the anniversry and our celebrating......so Neil bought me flowers, not just gas station flowers, beautiful sweet smelling flowers that he chose especially for me from an actual florist! With salal leaves (that surround us here in Tofino) and pretty twisty coral-like stems that remind me of the sea. Lovely.


He also bought me this pretty sweet glass-jugged blender that beats my old plasticy one (which by the way was held together with sticky tape to stop the leaks). Now I can make nut milk and smoothies galore! :)

Neil's a hard one to buy for. I know he's easily impressed by gadgets and anything that'll make him laugh but I wanted to get him something that he'll be able to keep and love. Here he is ripping into my pressie which thankfully arrived exactly on our anniversary after I'd frantically checked our mail box for the last three weeks...


It's a canvas print of one of my favorite photos with Neil and the kids on the beach in their wetsuits, all smiling from ear to ear. I'm pretty sure he loves it.


As an extra special treat to ourselves that night we had dinner at the Wickaninish Inn. Boy was it a treat!! The place is just about as gorgeous as a place can get and the food, which I knew would be good, was out.of.this.world.



The Pointe restaurant at The Wick is set on an outcrop of rocks at the North tip of Chesterman Beach. The restaurant, which is smaller than I expected, is surrounded by windows with an almost 360 degree view and a big wood burning fireplace in the centre. Looking straight out to sea it's like being on the bridge of a ship. Our table was right up against the window with a stunning view all the way down the crescent shaped beach. We had dinner early to maximise our viewing pleasure and sat watching the surfers and dog walkers as the sets came rolling into shore.


The menu changes every seven days according to whats available locally and in season. We opted for the Mushrooms and Berries tasting menu with wine paring. Four delicious courses along that theme with wine chosen to prefectly pair with each delicious course.




The lamb course above and the rabbit course below were both AHHH MAZING! I think the rabbit and wild mushroom parpadelle took the lead though for sheer rich and delicious scrumptousness. Man it was good!



Believe it or not, this was our desert. I've never had anything like it. Savory cheese, crummbly bread, tart berries and sweet white chocolate cut with the hint of fresh coriander leaves. It was so different and so flippin good! When the waiter asked if we were satisfied, Neil made the mistake of saying he could eat another four courses........we saw the waiter speak to the maanger and then, as if we hadn't already had our full dose of gourmet deliciousness, the manager trotted over with a platter of artisan cheeses and breads with fresh okanagan fruit and local honey complete with comb!! Holy moly!



Gone!




To complete the evening and to mark four years since our most special day, what could be more perfect than a moonlit walk on the prettiest beach in the world? Not much!!

























X

No comments:

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com