Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Katarina and Paulo on the move



So Kate (my banana loaf telepathy sister) and Paul have been thinking of moving out of Canterbury for a while now and have just found a lovely little house in Upnor, a two minute walk from my Mums house ( and our temporary home). It is tiny but beautiful. A little Georgian terrace in the cobbled High Street that runs down to the river called the Boat House. We went over to see it today, it was Kate's second viewing. The sun came out just as we reached the top of the high street and as we walked down towards the house smoke drifted from a nearby chimney and the smell of woodsmoke seemed to fill the air. Honestly it's like going back in time, the High Street is narrow and cobbled and it stops abruptly where the river cuts its path so no one ever drives down there. The houses are mix of Victorian and Georgian cottages, whitewashed or clapperboard with sash windows and uneven roofs. Inside, the Boat house has a woodburning stove and wide old wooden floorboards. Upstairs are two tiny bedrooms, the biggest has a delicate little cast iron fire place and a large sash window. As we walked into the room the sunlight was streaming through the glass and gave the room a really mellow glow. I had to leave before the others so that I could get ready for work but as I walked back to my Mums down the footpath through the trees and past the castle walls I thought about how I've always taken for granted the beautiful old buildings and pretty little villages that are dotted all around here. I 've only just begun to think about how I'll really miss all that in Canada.

No comments:

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com