Monday, May 02, 2011

That's it! Somebody find me the scissors!

Isobel's hair is a bit like outer space. It's something I've thought about a lot but just can't get my head around. First she had none, well apart from "The Topknot", the strange cluster of hairs she was born with that shot out of the top if her head at a 90 degree angle. "The Topknot" continued to grow at an alarming rate whilst the rest of her head remained like a velvety, fuzzy peach well into her second year of life. At some point I begrudgingly trimmed "The Topknot" because it had got so long it could no longer support it's own weight and it had fallen to the side where it instantly transformed into a full on comb-over. I wasn't putting my daughter through that! I trimmed it, it stuck upright once again. We all seemed happy with the arrangement. Slowly and sneakily the hair on the back of her head started to grow, the hair on the sides did not. Then one day, we realized it had become 'The Mullet". "The Mullet" is not a desirable hairstyle unless you happen to be an eighties footballer or an uber fashionable teenager, but somehow Isobel ROCKED it! She just managed to pull it off effortlessly and it worked. That is.......until now.



As these pictures clearly show, it just doesn't work anymore. I took the kids to their first day of (pretend) school the other day and it suddenly dawned on me as I watched her play with little girls with cute bobs and neat fringes that my little girl looked like I'd just found her living in the street. Not just any street, one from a Dickens novel! She was a Dickensian street urchin and it was all because of her wild and crazy hair. I resolved to do something about it that very afternoon. I'm about as good as a hairdresser as I am a cook but I was hoping for another fluke. the cut proved difficult because her hair doesn't grow like other people. She doesn't have a side parting or a middle parting but a back parting. Going horizontally across her head! After a bit of thought, the only option I could come up with was to make a fringe with everything that grew forward from her back parting. This means she has more fringe hair than other hair but it sort of works. Here she is post-cut looking a little traumatized (she headed straight for her vacuum to calm her nerves.)

Sebastian seemed to like her knew look and the two of us gave her the full on paparazzi treatment taking photos from all angles until she felt like she "just stepped out of a salon"!

It definitely looks neater, especially from the back. But, weirdly, I think I'm going to miss her wild street urchin look.


Align Center
I'm not sure what Bel thinks of her new look but judging by the fact that she donned this disguise I'm thinking she's not convinced yet.

No comments:

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com