Monday, June 05, 2006

Shcnitzel, Wine, Wedding and Rain....

Simon and Anne get married, Mosel region, Germany, 20th May 2006




My cousin Simon married his lovely girlfriend Anne in Traben-Trabach in the Mosel Valley in Germany on the 20th May. I went over for the weekend to join in the festivities with my Mum and Dad, my brother Dan and his girlfriend Mary-Jo. Neil, unforgivabley stood me up at the last minute due to work commitments(!?). He really missed a good weekend and he knows it! It was a beautiful place, a very quaint German town set astride the Mosel river and surrounded by vineyards. We did our best to sample the local wine and managed to taste quite a few varieties in the short time we were there! Due to my current knee problem I was struggling around on crutches which proved to be pretty difficult when wearing heals, trying to look elegant and trying to cope with rather steep, cobbled streets. It was a very mixed gathering, Anne is German and so most of her family were from Germany, my cousin Ben, Simons brother, lives in Luxembourg and he and his Portuguese wife traveled over by car. My Aunt and Uncle and other cousins and of course our little group all flew over from England, there was a lady from Canada and Anne's mother and step father who flew in from Nashville, Tennessee. The ceremony was carried out half in German and half in English as were most of the speeches! Just after the ceremony a large loaf of bread shaped like a figure of 8 was placed over the heads of the bride and groom (one head in each hole!) and they had to eat their way through the middle and then kiss eachother...Bizarre but really quite an entertaining addition to any wedding I'd say! Anyway here are a selection of piccies from the weekend, I'll try to post some more on the gallery when I get a chance......

Mr and Mrs Lyon(x3) and families

Rainbow over Traben-Trabach

Simon and Anne getting married.......Actually I think they were already married by this point.

Bride and Groom during the giant pretzel-eating competition!


Me and my Pa.

My mummy and those wretched cobbles!

No comments:

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com