Thursday, January 07, 2010

Bel's story so far....

On Monday afternoon I got a call from the hospital asking if Isobel could come in for her surgery in two days time. The lady was asking me questions and I couldn't answer, I was in complete shock. I knew my baby girl was going to need this operation and I was gradually adjusting to that but I thought I was going to get 4 weeks notice, to recieve a call like this out of the blue threw me, literally, I couldn't speak.

As I write this it's about 10.30pm on Thursday Januray 7th and Isobel is still in the paediatric intensive care unit after her open heart surgery yesterday. She's still on a morphine drip and being closely monitored but she's doing amazingly well. The last three days have been an absolute whirlwind. Too many trips to the hospital to count, a trip to the airport, frantic phone calls, pacing and waiting and some of the most horrible and terrifing feelings I've ever had. Amongst all this my Mum magically arrived and made everything seem so much better and I realized that I really am the luckiest person alive to have such an amazing family. A precious, brave and beautiful daughter who can light up a room with her smile even when she's in horrible discomfort and pain, a shining star of a son who makes sure we all have something to laugh about and who gives THE most amazing cuddles and an unbelievably strong and supportive husband who, although he was as terrified as me, made sure I had a shoulder to cry on and arms to fall into when I felt like I couldn't stand up any more.

We really are the lucky ones.

Here are some pictures from the last couple of days starting with our pre-admission visit at the hospital on Tuesday morning and finishing with Isobel when we last visited her this evening.



The chest x ray tube. She didn't even cry!



Taking blood.



Her bath the night before surgery. The last photo of her without a scar on her chest.



Sebastian kissing his baby sister bye bye before she leaves for the hospital.


Waiting to go for surgery.


More waiting.


On the stretcher with Mummy being wheeled to the OR.



About two hour's after 5 hours of open heart surgery. Fully sedated in the paediatric intensive care unit.



6 hours after surgery, although still heavily sedated, Isobel wakes up and finds her thumb.


This morning. She's still very groggy but some tubes have been removed and she is doing really well.



Grandad and Nana visit.



At about 7pm this evening, we arrive to find her sitting up in bed. The nurses say that she's been bright and alert and curious about the goings on in the PICU.
I can't tell you how relieved we feel to see her like this. I feel like crying I'm so happy!


Isobel's new friend...a huge stuffed wolf toy (we named him Defect) sent as a get well gift from the superintendent at Neil's police station.



Although she's still not herself and is obviously in lots of pain and discomfort Daddy gets a few of the most precious and heart-warming smiles he's ever recieved.




Love you Bel, every minute we spend away from you feels like an eternity. Can't wait to have you home.

X

2 comments:

libby cole said...

Hi Sophie. Neil, Seb and Isobel, We are so so pleased to hear that bel's op has gone so well. Its lovely to see such a brave little girl smiling and happy. I cant continue to read ur blog on Isobel purely because i cant see through the tears!!
Shirley and Tony have been keeping us updated and we passed on our love.
We willing keep smiling for her!
Libby Peter Rhianna and Maddy
xx xx xx xx

DCJRalston said...

great to see that smile again! speak soon. Dale xx

EMAIL ADDRESSES


ralstne@gmail.com